2008-10-29

Paper lamp

I've revised and simplified this lamp project I found on another blog. I finished mine last night, I'll add more photos today. Shown below is a folding diagram that I made, however I think it can be varied to almost any degree to achieve larger or more donut like shapes. This is however, a sort of minimum size. I would keep the number of columns odd, and the vertical diamond count at in halves(ie 3.5 diamonds tall, not 3 or 4).
The vertical folds are made on the opposite side as the diagonal folds. I used heavy bond paper so I could score the folds first without much risk of cutting thru. Once all folds are.. folded, it will compress into a 'C' shape, as shown below. After you've wrestled the lamp into its final 'lamp' shape (which is not exactly easy) and are confident that all your folds are crisp, punch holes thru the stacked ends as shown, then unfold and glue the last column to the first column. This will form a cylinder from your sheet, a very wrinkly cylinder. Now, run strings thru the holes of each end of the lamp, as you tighten each end, help the folds find their shape. If you are lamping the sculpture you should insert your socket with bulb, before tying off the top string.
This seemingly simple project can take many hours, plug in a movie.
I'm almost certain this is a variation of a Le Klint design; looks very similar to the 101 and 195.

13 comments:

  1. beautiful, just beautiful.
    you are certainly a master at folding, and kristen's japanese ancestors would be pleased with such work...as am i.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you give any tips on folding the.. creases/folds? I'm having trouble with that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Romaida,
    I scored all my folds first. You can do it with a bone score, bone folder, butter knife... I used an exacto knife, but you must take care not to cut to deep, as all folds intersect you are cutting/scoring 3 times at these points. Does that help? Again, the diagonal and vertical folds are folded from opposite sides of the sheet.
    The next one I make will be scored with a bone folder and made out of heat resistant mylar, which is for withstanding the heat of a laser printer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thenx but its not enough description

    ReplyDelete
  5. can you show the folding pls?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for posting this! I saw the original post, and put in a lot of time working on it but got completely confused when it came to the folding. Your photos were very helpful.

    Would you be willing to describe how to glue the two ends together? I've been wrestling with it and can't seem to get them together without messing up the shape or the folded pattern. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  7. after I had folded it into position and strung strings thru the holes, I flattened the whole thing out again, lightly, and then glued the end columns(overlapping them) together. this makes a simple cylinder. then I slowly helped the folds find their way back to the 'round' shape, while tightening the strings. I hope this helps.. I'm not the best at explaining things. please let me know how it turns out! good luck

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, that was very helpful--I did get it finished, and it looks pretty good. Somehow, I've had a little bit of trouble getting the shape back, but I've just been tinkering with it a little each night and it's getting better. I think I'm going to use it as a reading light over one end of my couch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you finished, I'm sure it's nice to read under. Mine is in my tiny kitchen, just enough light to cook a romantic dinner for one. If you're up for a more ambitious hanging lamp project (involves lots of cutting), here's another one I've made that I can send you the template for: http://www.iqlight.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I'm brasilian, I live in Rio de Janeiro, know? I loved finding your blog in the layout of that light, I was looking for a long time.
    a hug and thank you, you canot imagine how happy I was and so I decided to write you.
    excuse the mistakes, I'm not very good in english and did not know if you understand portuguese.
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous Brasilian,
    Two of my friends speak Portuguese; what a beautiful language. You can write in my language far better than I could write in yours.

    I'm very happy you found what you were looking for!
    Tchau!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, saw this on Pinterest...can you tell me what kind of paper you use, or where I can find the original instrux, - do you have similar instructions on a website or somehwere that I can practice? LOVE the lamp!

    Lisa
    www.etsy.com/shop/chakradreams

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I've got problems to understand the dimensions of the paper sheet, how much is it in centimeters?? Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete